Sunday, March 16, 2008

Week 9--Thing 22--eBooks

I love audiobooks. I once took a kitchen stove apart and cleaned every crevice because I wouldn't stop listening to One Hundred Secret Senses. I'm not as big a fan of reading books electronically, except for people with visual impairment. Eyestrain and physical comfort--the ergonomics of reading on a machine for long stretches--are my reasons. However, as librarians, we're here to serve, and there is an eBook audience.

The School Library Learning 2.0 resources for eBooks and Audio eBooks are terrific, especially the free sites. I'll be able to share these with staff and parents, through our newsletter. Teachers in my elementary school are not likely to make much use of eBooks, but we have a collection of audiobooks tied to our core literature list. With the technology moving away from cassettes and towards MP3 technology, these are useful resources.

Naturally, copyright laws protect publishers and writers of current material, so we're considering either subscription sites such as audible.com or technology such as Follett's Playaway. A small percentage of our students are likely to tackle the classics available for free either in eBook or Audio eBook form, but with summer travel ahead of us, I can provide these lists to students and parents this spring for some great summer listening.

No comments: