Sunday, March 2, 2008

Week 6--Thing 13, Tagging and de.licio.us

Tagging makes sense. If people are to take control of their own learning, why shouldn't they be able to construct their own subject headings? It fits right in with teaching to learning styles. I can even see book publishers using common tags in future subject indexes.

De.licio.us strikes me as a marvelous mashup of sorts: oodles of interesting sites to explore, reader comments to consider, tagging opportunities galore, and the opportunity to join in the fun and send all my bookmarks to one spot. This is a tool for secondary students and motivated teachers. People with a lot of internet experience, drive, and time on their hands. I got lost, actually, as in a great museum or the Brimfield Flea Market. I'll be looking for ways to use de.licio.us in my elementary school, but so far haven't seen how. We are very comfortable using teacher-directed Internet searching. Anyone have any ideas?

1 comment:

Ed Warkentin said...

If you like delicious (now without the periods), then you'll probably like Diigo.
As I understand it, it has all the same advantages, but with one more: You can put "stickynotes" on web pages which other Diigo users see when they go to those web pages.
With students, the way I would use either of these services is similar to how (and why) I would set up a Google Custom Search.
These services may be better suited for adults to share resources with each other, though.