Sunday, March 2, 2008

Week 7--Thing 16--Wikis

The Wiki idea of user-created information sources is terrific. I especially liked the high school wikis, where students can both access content and provide feedback.

Wikis are great for any group that benefits from a virtual message board and the like.

About half our sixth graders use Wikipedia. As an exercise to teach how Wikipedia works, I had several classes collaborate on two articles. I cleaned up the writing for the first one to conform to Wikipedia's style. It is still on the website. We posted the second article without my edits, leaving in all the young adolescent opinion language, and Wikipedia pulled it down within 15 minutes. Now the students think Wikipedia is boring, but they understand that just because "anyone" can write to it, no one can write just anything. I couldn't have planned it better myself.

1 comment:

emeraldgreen said...

Your blog looks great. Your teachable moment with Wikipedia was very effective. I just set up a wiki for our technology curriculum committee at: http://bpstechspace.wikispaces.com/
There are a lot of great tools for classroom communication. Just read about another in the new Connected Newsletter today called Tumblr.com
It says "If blogs are journals, tumblelogs are scrapbooks."